Saturday, January 26, 2013

Egg in a Cage!

I've been thinking about what my next post would be about, and I honestly debated over doing a post on cereal.  This may come as a surprise to some of you, but I am not a breakfast person.  This is mainly due to the fact that I don't get up in time for breakfast, and that I'm not in the mood to eat in the morning.  I know, I know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, yeah yeah.  When I do eat breakfast at home, I normally just pour myself a bole of cereal and call it good.  So, my dad does this thing where if we have a bit of cereal left in each bag/box he will pour it all into one bowl and eat it.  For some reason that completely grosses me out.  But then I got to thinking about a "Cosby Sweater" and then I got even more grossed out.... woof.

Anyway, so then I was thinking of other breakfast food I like.  And then I was like BOOM. Egg in a cage.  This was my FAVORITE breakfast food as a kid.  Okay, so I know everyone has their own name for this, but it is basically a piece of toast with an egg in the middle.  I've heard it called egg in a nest, egg in a basket, and some other names. 

This is how I make it: butter both sides of a piece of bread, rip out the center portion into a circle/square/whatever shape you want, put the bread into the skillet (like you're making a grilled cheese), and then crack an egg in the middle.  I like to butter the piece of bread I took out as well.  (that was always the best part as a kid).  Anyway, you're finished product should look something like this:

Has anyone else noticed that men make pretty good breakfast?  I started thinking about this: even men that don't normally cook anything seem to be pretty legit masters when it comes to making eggs, hash browns, and pancakes.  Why is this? Is it because it is easier than other meals?  I have no idea.  But if I think about the best breakfasts I've ever had, they've always been made by men.  This may not be true for all men, obviously, but I think that the men who can make a decent breakfast should be required to serve their lady breakfast in bed at least once a year. 

Ladies, if you're a good cook, you can treat your man to breakfast in bed too. Have fun people :)



No comments:

Post a Comment